Robin, as the Tasmanian Anti-Discrimination Commissioner, has an independent statutory role to administer the Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (Tas).
Under the Act, the Commissioner has the following functions:
- to advise and make recommendations to the Minister of Justice on matters relating to discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to promote the recognition and approval of acceptable attitudes, acts and practices relating to discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to consult and inquire into discrimination and prohibited conduct and the effects of discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to disseminate information about discrimination and prohibited conduct and the effects of discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to undertake research and educational programs to promote attitudes, acts and practices against discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to prepare and publish guidelines for the avoidance of attitudes, acts and practices relating to discrimination and prohibited conduct;
- to examine any legislation and report to the Minister as to whether it is discriminatory or not; and
- to investigate and seek to conciliate complaints of discrimination and prohibited conduct.
Equal Opportunity Tasmania staff assists the Commissioner fulfilling her roles under the Act. There are four areas of expertise within the EOT office.
- Investigation and Conciliation
- Training, Education and Development
- Policy and Project Development
Investigation and Conciliation Officers
- Jason Wright (Monday to Friday)
- Melanie van Egdom (Monday to Friday)
- Michelle Parker (Wednesday to Friday)
- Pia Struwe (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Gemma Misrachi (Thursday to Friday)
- Andrew Muthy (Monday to Friday on leave without pay from 14 October 2016)
The role of the Investigation and Conciliation Officers includes answering enquiries; investigating complaints of discrimination and other prohibited conduct and helping parties try to resolve complaints through conciliation.
If you want to know if you may have a basis to make a complaint, or you wish to talk to someone about an incident of discrimination you may be referred to one of our Investigation and Conciliation officers for information.
Training, Education and Development Staff
Senior Training, Education and Development Officer
Training, Education and Development Officer
Roz and Louise are responsible for the development and delivery of training and education for public and private sector organisations, and for contributing to community education and development of programs to promote attitudes, and practices that reduce or eliminate discrimination and prohibited conduct.
If you are granted an exemption you will generally be required to have training from Equal Opportunity Tasmania.
Senior Policy and Project Officer
The focus of this work is on responding to relevant inquiries, undertaking research into issues relevant to coverage under the Act, and developing and implementing policy strategies to encourage greater compliance with the Act.
Your first point of contact with our office is usually the administration staff.
Ann contributes to Equal Opportunity Tasmania by providing high-level customer focused clerical and administrative support, ensuring the provision of efficient and effective support to the administrative, complaint handling and training/community education teams.
ADR Co-ordinator and Systems Administrator
Craig co-ordinates conciliation conferences for the complaint team and liaises with parties, stakeholders and service providers in arranging those meetings. He also provides high level system administrator support of our case management system (Resolve) and maintains quality of data and management controls.
Executive Officer (shared role)
- Amelia Davies (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
- Rebecca Headlam (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)
- Katrina Warburton (currently on parental leave)
Amelia and Rebecca share the role of the Executive Officer; they are responsible for managing the business needs of the office and acting as personal assistant to the Commissioner. If you wish to schedule an appointment to meet with the Commissioner, you should contact the Executive Officer.
To contact any of the Equal Opportunity Staff:
Phone: (03) 6165 7515