Equal Opportunity Tasmania seeks to work closely with the Tasmanian community in fostering a society free of discrimination, prejudice, bias and prohibited conduct.
Its guiding principle is:
Celebrating difference - Embracing equality
The Anti-Discrimination Commissioner and her staff seeks to act in accordance with the following values:
- high standards of professional service delivery;
- building and fostering relationships with key stakeholders;
- ensuring equity: fair and just treatment and seeking fair and just outcomes in complaint-handling processes;
- encouraging and affirming participation at all levels;
- maximising the potential of individual employees; and
- encouraging and supporting staff development and multi-skilling.
Aim and principles
The Anti-Discrimination Commissioner and her staff envisages a Tasmanian community that recognises that all people are entitled to respect, dignity and appreciation for their contributions and in which all are honoured for their diverse abilities and strengths.
The work and practice of Equal Opportunity Tasmania is founded in principles of fairness, recognition, co-operation, cultural diversity, awareness and continued service to the community. The Anti-Discrimination Commissioner and her staff members continue to provide leadership in the application of these principles.